Ursprünglichen Post anzeigen 1.322 weitere Wörter
China’s rise and Asian tensions send U.S. relations into downward spiral
(Laris Karklis/The Washington Post)
July 7 2014
By Simon Denyer
Secretary of State John F. Kerry and Treasury Secretary Jack Lew will visit Beijing on Wednesday and Thursday for the sixth annual Strategic and Economic Dialogue. And while Washington has been focused more on Iraq, Syria, Ukraine and Russia, some say the U.S.-China relationship is facing its stiffest test since President Richard M. Nixon traveled to Mao Zedong’s China in 1972… .
The Obama administration’s foreign policy rebalance or “pivot” toAsia has been widely interpreted in China as an attempt to contain its rise.
U.S. efforts to bolster ties with regional states such as Vietnam and to reassure nervous Asian allies such as Japan and the Philippines that it
- stands ready to defend them militarily have created a new narrative in Beijing —
- that the…
Ursprünglichen Post anzeigen 3.388 weitere Wörter
Jul 19, 2014
In early July 1944, delegates from 44 countries gathered at the Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire. A three-week summit took place, at which a new system was agreed to regulate the international monetary and financial order after the Second World War.
The US was already
- the world’s commercial powerhouse,
- having eclipsed the British Empire several decades earlier. America was also on course to be
- among the victors of “Europe’s conflict”, even though its economy was largely unscathed by war. As such,
- was US-dominated and
- produced a settlement largely on US terms… Since then,
- global commerce has been conducted largely indollars and leading economies have held
- the greenback as theirprimary reserve currency.
- The same system remains intact today, with the lion’s…
Ursprünglichen Post anzeigen 1.416 weitere Wörter
Friday 1 August 2014
By Kate Hodal
Thailand’s ruling junta has approve
- a $23 billion (£13.6bn) transport project that will see two high-speed railways link up directly withChina by 2021, in a move seen as a further consolidation of Chinese power in the region. The National Council for Peace and Order … unveiled plans this week connecting the northern border town of
- Nong Khai with Map Ta Phut, located south-east of Bangkok.
- Chaing Khong, just south of the Laos capital Vientiane, will also be connected to Ban Phachi, in the central Ayutthaya regions. The railway lines will link up
- directly to Kunming, in China’s southern Yunnan province, in what analysts have termed Chinese „high-speed railway diplomacy„. China is looking to build a 3,000km high-speed line
- from Kunming all the way down to Singapore, passing
Ursprünglichen Post anzeigen 1.848 weitere Wörter