Jul 19, 2014
In early July 1944, delegates from 44 countries gathered at the Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire. A three-week summit took place, at which a new system was agreed to regulate the international monetary and financial order after the Second World War.
The US was already
- the world’s commercial powerhouse,
- having eclipsed the British Empire several decades earlier. America was also on course to be
- among the victors of “Europe’s conflict”, even though its economy was largely unscathed by war. As such,
- was US-dominated and
- produced a settlement largely on US terms… Since then,
- global commerce has been conducted largely indollars and leading economies have held
- the greenback as theirprimary reserve currency.
- The same system remains intact today, with the lion’s…
Ursprünglichen Post anzeigen 1.416 weitere Wörter